Friday, July 3, 2009

Palm Oil vis-a-vis Olive Oil


My family and I had lunch Lebanese style in front of Harrods at Knightsbridge yesterday. The food spread was enormous, served Japanese style, with the complete array of appetizers moving on in front of us. It was really a feast for our eyes, before we decided to feast our tummies, of course. I am not adventurous with food, so I decided to order something ala carte, something that I am more familiar with at home. I ordered lamb kebab, but on the menu, it is categorised under Wraps.
What is more interesting to note is the edible oil used in all the food preparation in the Lebanese kitchen. It must be olive oil used in the salad dressing and in all other food concoctions prepared by the chef.
So I was thinking to myself, how much of our palm oil was imported by the United Kingdom. I suppose palm oil is very competitive to make its mark here since there are so many other non-indigenous eating outlets offering their local cuisines - Italian, French, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai and the Chinese takeaways.Perhaps, these outlets are not using palm oil in their respective kitchens. Maybe that is one of the reasons behind the relocation of the MPOB TAS Regional Office from London to Brussels recently in order to aggressively promote and monitor the increasing European market better from the new location in Europe itself.
FACT: Virgin palm oil is rich in carotenoids(pro Vitamin A), tocotrienols and tocopherols(Vitamin E). Like all vegetable oils, it is cholesterol-free. Furthermore, it contains no trans fatty acids. Palm oil is just as healthy as olive oil, and more. This is beacause palm oil contains the richest anti-oxidants in the form of Vitamin E, especially tocotrienol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers