Saturday, July 11, 2009







Friday 10 July 2009
Today, my family and I were invited for lunch at the home of my my old schoolmate , Chee Khan Neo, who had settled down in the UK since early 1970's. The whole family, comprising Michael and Elly Wong and their two daughters are now permanent residents (PR) of UK. The menu was a very special one, with chicken curry, fresh salmon, prawns, fried asparagus and a delicious fresh garden salad, served with steamed white Bhasmathi rice. Michael said it is a special menu for a special reunion, considering we have not met each other since 43 years ago when Elly moved to UK to start her nursing career.
Both Michael and Elly, I found out later, are descendants of the Nyonya and Baba heritage, the former from Penang and the latter from Malacca. Both Penang, Malacca and Singapore were the former states of the Straits Settlements, a legacy left by the British when they governed the country beginning 1800s.
It was a beautiful reunion indeed, with my telling Elly what had happened to our friends. It was easily remembered because Elly brought out the old school photos since 1961 as a source of reference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers