Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oil Palm Replanting

13 Sept 2010
At our Raya Open House, I had wanted actually to request my old classmate Mr K Perumal to explain to my 2 brothers the economic feasibility of planting oil palm on rubber land. But the ocassion, I suppose, was not right, simply because it was Hari Raya and people do not want to discuss any heavy issues. I hope there will come a good time to discuss whether it is now timely to convert our rubber estate to oil palm. Our family rubber estate of 13 acres is now more than 25 years old, nearing its lifespan. Something needs to be done on the land, even though my aged mother convinced me that she is still getting some income from the rubber estate. I suppose I have to put this conversion idea on hold for some time yet.
Previous discussion with Perumal made me want to convert it immediately, but it would have to be a family decision when to embark on it. Once planted, it would take 3 years for the oil palm to bear its fruits, as compared to rubber which takes 7 years to harvest.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, this is Azimah.

    An interesting proposition, Mardiah. We had our family's rubber land (near Tampin) replanted a few years ago ...with rubber of course, with assistance from RISDA. We continued with rubber over Palm Oil because of the initial requirement which could have been more costly. The idea is of course to assist the family in utilising the land which was for sure not bringing in anything if nothing was done.

    ReplyDelete

Followers